Corrosion and corrosion protection in petroleum engineering
Course objectives: Present the problems of corrosion in the oil industry and its impact on safety and the environment; Explain the theoretical basis of corrosion and its consequences; Present the factors that affect the corrosion rate and corrosion rate determination methods; Give an overview of modern methods of corrosion protection.
- Theoretical bases of corrosion, what are the causes, what are the consequences - environmental impact and safety;
- Corrosion problems in petroleum engineering - causes, consequences, types of corrosion, methods of protection;
- Thermodynamics and kinetics of corrosion processes;
- Factors influencing the corrosion rate and corrosion rate determination methods;
- Corrosion protection - what are the methods of protection, their impact on the environment, practical examples.
Learning outcomes at the level of the course:
- Distinguish the types of corrosion and the conditions of occurrence of each type;
- Assess the consequences of corrosion and its impact on safety and the environment;
- Carry out a test to determine the rate of corrosion;
- Propose an appropriate method of corrosion protection;
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the selected method of corrosion protection in order to protect the environment.